Steve Richter wrote:
Well, there is thread support and the ability of the API to callback into a
rpg appl via procs that run in separate threads.  That enables RPG pgms to
better use what APIs have to offer.

Mix in some mutexs, global variables, and critical sections and you have a
super responsive way to get outside events, like posts to a web server,
handed off to the rpg appl that the event is destined for.

Some very good points, and clearly shows that C is much better suited to low-level IP programming and RPG. RPG clearly has limitations with respect to threading, and due to language design and implementation issues these limitations are going to stay with us a good long time unfortunately.

Fact is, every tool has its own particular set of fundamental advantages and disadvantages, and programming languages are no exception. Expecting one tool to do everything well is simply unrealistic.

I appreciate that there's a certain comfort in wanting to stick with the language you know best, especially in the midst of having to learn lots of new things like HTML and HTTP. But at some point, there are definite benefits in breaking out of your "comfort zone".

I'll end this note with one of my favorite quotes seen on the internet:

"If you've been pounding nails with your forehead for years, it may feel strange the first time somebody hands you a hammer. But that doesn't mean that you should strap the hammer to a headband just to give your skull that old familiar jolt." -- Wayne Throop

Cheers! Hans