From: rpg400-l-bounces@midrange.com [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@midrange.com]On
Behalf Of Ken Sims
Sent: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 3:51 PM
To: rpg400-l@midrange.com
Subject: Re: IFGT vs. IF

Hi Buzz -

>  D*
>  Dprntds           ds
>  D line#                 367    368b 0
>  D*
>  D fsttim          s              1    inz('y')
>
>C                  if        line# > 63 or fsttim = 'y'

As has already been mentioned, the halt is due to line# having blanks in it.

You should be able to get around the problem without initializing line# by
changing your if to:

C                  if        fsttim = 'y' or line# > 63

Since fsttim will be 'y' the first time the if is executed, line# will not
be checked since it is an or condition.  By the time the if is executed
again, with fsttim persumably no longer equal to 'y', there should have
been a print operation and line# will have a valid value.

>  C     line#         ifgt      63
>  C     fsttim        oreq      'y'

I'm somewhat surprised that this code did not also give you the same
halt.  It's probably that being fixed format the halt is suppressed just
like halts on z-add, add, sub, etc.  Whereas the if is like an eval and
halts on an overflow.

Ken
http://www.ke9nr.net/
Opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of
my employer or anyone in their right mind.