Is there any alternate way of terminating program other than SETON
LR......
adv thanks&regards
Murali

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 Joe Pluta wrote :
> From: MURALI DHAR
>
> I have duplicate records in it...Can i now change it to
unique
> PF....?

Murali, think about what you are asking.  You are asking if you
can take a
file that has duplicate keys and make it have unique keys.  Only
one of two
options exist:

1. The operating system deletes records with duplicate keys
2. The operating system keeps the duplicate keys

Option one would destroy data.  I doubt this is what you want.
Option two
is a contradiction, because the keys in the file would not be
unique.

So, common sense should indicate that the answer is no, you
cannot convert a
file with duplicate keys to unique key access, without first
removing the
duplicate keys.

If you choose to ignore common sense, you could simply try it
yourself, like
I did, and find that you'll get a CF4012 if you try to access a
unique view
over a file with duplicate keys.  I did this by entering data
into a file,
then changing the file to UNIQUE.  When I went to access the file
with
UPDDTA I could not access it.

On the other hand, I was able to access the data in this mangled
file using
SQL.  So the answer to your problem might be simply to use SQL.

Joe