John,

Actually, it isn't "David Morris' open source toolkit" -- the project is
open to any developer that wants to contribute and is hosted by Source
Forge. It just happened that I have contributed the bulk of the code, I
would really like to get others involved and if changing the license
helps get more involvement, I am all for it.

Unless you want to embed the code in a package that you want to
distribute you will be just fine. If you want to distribute something
with the iSeries-toolkit code and it is free there should be no
problems. If you want to distribute something that you charge for, you
can simply code your calls to the iSeries-toolkit classes and include
instructions on how your customer can download the package (you can even
distribute it if it isn't embedded in your product).

If this is too onerous, it is likely that it can be changed to an Apache
or lgpl license. I would want someone to come up with a real scenario
and not just speculation because it will require some real work. My main
concern is that the work of the contributers be recognized in any
product that uses the iSeries-toolkit.

David Morris

>>> jtaylor@rpg2java.com 07/12/02 05:17 AM >>>
Bob,

[mailto:rpg400-l-admin@midrange.com]On
> Behalf Of Bob Cozzi

> Having said that, I have to put in a plug for the upcoming
> iSeriesOpenSource.org website. A website where people that write
> interesting code for OS/400 can post their source code for others to
> use, for free. So if you want to write a free service program for RPG,
> that's that place to distribute it.

GPL? If so, then that makes it all but useless to most shops. Take, for
example, David Morris' open source toolkit; he's provided some good
stuff,
but I can't use any of it.

LGPL, BSD etc., are more practical.

Regards,