<snip>
As for... "The prototypes... take up about a dozen lines and another 30
lines...".  So that's 42 additional lines, I was being generous when I said
25-30.  That just makes my point.
<snip>

But this is no different than having to put together an include file for
anything else. You only have to do it once.

<snip>
Again, I'm not saying that this is 100% necessary and should be Rochester's top
priority, I'm just saying it would make it extremely easier to code to IFS
files than currently, and a lot more people would start coding to IFS.  If I
ever need to code to the IFS I'll just do the research, write the prototypes,
etc.., get code samples and do it.  So I'm looking at... 3 to 4 hours the first
time I want to code to an IFS file.  If they were native RPG it would take me,
what, 15 minutes to look up the opcodes?
<snip>

If you get the code for the Redbook "Who Know You Could Do That with RPG IV?"
(http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/Redbooks.nsf/9445fa5b416f6e32852569ae006bb65f/a555adfe471ddb288625677c006176c0?OpenDocument),
 it has prototypes and constants included for most of the IFS related API's (or
at least the ones you would usually use). Chapter 5 goes into pretty good
detail on how you use them. Yes, you may spend 3-4 hours the first time you use
the API's but most of that will be reading documentation.

Personally, I don't mind using API's, they're usually pretty straight forward
to use (big exception being some of the LDAP ones), and I like the power and
flexibility that comes with them.

Matt