From: "Jim Langston" <jlangston@celsinc.com>
To: <rpg400-l@midrange.com>
Sent: Friday, July 12, 2002 3:22 AM
Subject: RE: IFS in RPG

One of the problems I face here is I'm the only program who knows how to
code to API's besides my boss.  The other 2 programmers here don't know an
API from UPS.

Yes, everyone should learn to code to APIs.  Yes, everyone should learn how
to read programs using APIs.  But let's be realistic, the one ones of us
using APIs are the ones doing the things out of the ordinary, needing to do
thing that RPG just can't do natively.  Such as the time I needed to write a
program to see what network files were waiting (ones sent with SNDNETF).  A
few questions to the list in MI, a few APIs to read directly from the object
on the disk and I had the program written.  This can pretty much be defined
in the realm of system programming.

But your normal application programmer, the ones who write the nifty green
screen interfaces to the DB2 files, wouldn't be able to make sense of this
program, nor would I expect them to be able to write one.

But, more and more commonly we need to write and read from the IFS, and it's
shifting from the realm of system programming to application programming.
This is where it needs to be simplified.

I guess what I'm saying is, yes, I use APIs, and I can write prototypes, and
it takes me longer to do than native RPG programming.  And if we want
application programmers to use the IFS we are going to have to simplify
things a bit to make it easier and faster.

As it stands, when we do need to read/write directly to/from IFS files from
RPG programs I will be writing the prototype wrappers and build a directory
and include files and etc.. etc..  And when Rochester does come out with
native IFS reading/writing I'll be able to drop the whole thing and use much
easier to use native RPG IFS File I/O.

Regards,

Jim Langston