We do the translation to ASCII before sending.  They see the connection on
their end OK, it's just the connection stays on port 5550 so they don't get
the data when we send it. They still see us connected to 5550 even after
they've handed us off to another port.  So I don't think its a password/ID
type of problem.Here's what the vendor told us to do: ( I don't understand
the part about setting the socket to some unique value e.g., 34567) Seems
like thats where they're moving the connection to and I don't know what
that is.

Looking at what should be done at CPU's side, the logic should be:

// Create an unconnected socket for TCP/IP
m_Sockfd = ::socket(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, 0);

// Connect to serv_addr (207.230.238.11, 5550) and
// set m_Sockfd to some unique value (e.g., 34567)
connect(m_Sockfd, (struct sockaddr*)&serv_addr, sizeof(serv_addr));

// Send messages to 34567
send(m_Sockfd, outBuffer, ::strlen(outBuffer), 0)

Presumably, they'll be using the above calls (BSD sockets API).

Buck wrote:

It really sounds like the server is disconnecting because it doesn't
recognise what you're sending.  Speaking of which, is the server running on
iSeries or another platform?  The reason I ask is translation.  You will
need to translate from EBCDIC (iSeries) to ASCII (Windows/Unix) when
sending
and vice versa when reading.