What's wrong with non-blocking sockets & calling select()?   It's the way
things were designed to work from the beginning.  It's simple.  It's
dramatically more powerful/flexible than setting SO_RCVTIMEO.

So... I don't understand all of the searching the web for things, and
looking for alternatives?