Buck,

> I shouldn't, but I will...
> Rather than bemoan the loss of MOVE in /free, why not write some
procedure
> wrappers that make more sense.  I mean (in the spirit of Bob's 'make
it
> clear') that MOVE can convert decimal to character, it can overlay
some
> parts of a variable, etc.  Rather than an overloaded MOVE, wouldn't my
code
> make more sense if it looked more like
> text = decToChar(YTDSales: toCharLength);
>
> instead of
> MOVE YTDSLS TEXT

To an aged-old RPG programming? Maybe, maybe not.
To a new RPG programmer (under say 7 years experience) probably.
To a non-RPG programming that is a new RPG programmer with less than a
years experience in RPG, but some experience/training in non-RPG
languages... probably.

There certainly needs to be:

CharToDec()
DecToChar()
CharToHex()
HexToChar()

I realize we already have %CHAR() that converts decimal to character.
But we also have %DEC() which does not convert character to decimal.
So I think we need some new built-in functions that are named
consistently, OR we need %DEC to also convert character values to
decimal.

Bob Cozzi