  • Subject: Re: Standards and Egos (was RE: ILE Propoganda)
  • From: Jim Langston <jimlangston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 10:13:52 -0700

Aye.  I don't think it serves any company to argue over standards.

I'm with a company where I have complete control over the AS/400,
I can use any standards I want.  We merged with another company that
uses their own AS/400s and they have their own standards.  I had
suggested to them that they take a look at ILE and what it could do
to their manager, overviewed some of the benefits, and left it at
that.

One time I needed to write a program that would transfer a file from
my system onto their system and upload the records.  This was a
pretty involved application, it involved receiving the file on our
system initially from one of our customers, importing the records on
our system (which it already does), transferring the file to their
system, and uploading them there.

I wrote the entire application using ILE, building a service program
from 3 modules I created on their system for some system functions
(date routines, system routines to use the WRKNETF APIs, and another
module that incorporated some of the functions on their application).
I coded, tested, and implemented.

Then the manager called and had me walk through the process and what
this application did.  I explained how we received it, how we sent it
to their system, had a batch job that ran in the job scheduler in the
morning check every hour for this file then sleep for an hour, then
it received the file, imported it and was finished.

He looked at the program, and was impressed that the program that
waited for the file was written in RPG and not CL among other things.

I wrote another program for another vendors application on their system
from scratch in ILE.  Another programmer needed to call this program
from their program and botched it up.  I fixed their mistake in about
10 minutes.

Next thing I know, I'm talking to one of their programmers, and he tells
me that his manager wants him to write all new stuff in ILE.

Actions speak louder than words.  Show the benefits, don't argue them,
and sometimes this means just biding your time.

Regards,

Jim Langston

Me transmitte sursum, Caledoni!