The next question then, "How do you convince the other programmer - the
corporate developers - to use it, CALLP-ILE, instead of using CALL?"

In terms of Performance vs "more-familiar-easy-to-change" the subroutine
program, sometimes it's difficult to draw a solid line, that will then make
"the user", at least, try the ILE approach.

If the differences in performance is such a fraction, "the user" will most
likely choose the "faster" approach - which is more familiar to them. Thus,
at first, the ILE approach seems to be a very effective way but not that
"efficient", in terms of handling the short-term businees needs.

But, as the business itself grow, the requirements for the corporate
application are also changed and become more complicated. That will lead
them, probably, as I encountered, into a recursive problem. Where the
subroutine is called in such a way, that it requires to be called multiple
times in a stack.

Then come a savior, the real solution, which is to use the ILE approach.
Procedure or function in a maintainable modular basis.
There's no other way to deal with this problem gracefully, except using the
ILE approach.

It's not a recommended approach to "give-an-example" of how ILE can help
"the user" doing their business better. But, it can be an inspirative
"reminder" on how to cope with the unexpected condition in the future.

Jean Reksodiputro

To make them understand, that once you know how to create a procedure, bind
into a service program, than it'll be just as maintainable as the other
subroutine program.