I really can't go along with you here, Rob. I mean, I know I'd find it
frustrating if that was the company's standard. I'd feel it wasn't probably
the best choice. But what if the reason was that the company still had
running some S/38s some place, back in their Russian division, and they
needed the code to be portable to any site. Well, I'd understand the reason
for the standard even if I didn't want to go along with it.

But if I am not the one to make the decisions, I'll put in my two cents and
go along. I'd whine about it at every opportunity, but I'd fly with the
standard. I wouldn't whine about it to  junior programmers or others on my
team, just to the managers and guys who might make a difference. I would
want them to always know that I felt there was a better choice.

Standards are great, and they are never going to be the best choice in all
situations. That is the nature of standards, they involved compromise. So
they will always, at some point, conflict with what you would do. But by
following the standard you have helped the team to perform better overall.

I did get to work at a company which had standards. Set in Sweden where
their worldwide headquarters was. Most of the time they were good. But they
didn't allow us to take advantage of new ILE op codes. I used to pitch the
use of ILE op codes at every chance. Every time the owners or managers asked
for feedback or whatever. But when I went into a piece of code written by
the guy next door, or a guy in Sweden, I knew what was up and I could find
my way around. When our customers wanted me to fix a problem or make a
change, the use of standards saved big money, for us and them.