  • Subject: Re: Can I get the Day of the week?
  • From: Douglas Handy <dhandy1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 07:47:21 -0400

James,

>I've actually had a client -insist- that day 7 be Sunday.  It's just the way
>that
>they viewed the world.

Not only that, but it is the international standard defined by ISO, which says
day 1 is Monday and day 7 is Sunday.  See ISO 8601.  "Day of the week is
represented by one decimal digit.  Monday shall be identified as day [1] of any
calendar week, and subsequent days of the same week shall be numbered in
ascending sequence to Sunday (day [7])."

It also defines how to determine the week number, which is also contrary to how
many people (particularly Americans) do it.  "The first calendar week of the
year is the one that includes the first Thursday of that year.  In the Gregorian
calendar, this is equivalent to the week which includes 4 January."

This means years can never have more than 53 weeks, but some dates in late
December may be part of week 01 of the following year, while some dates in early
January many be part of the last week of the preceding year.

ISO actually makes a PDF of this standard available free at
http://www.iso.ch/markete/8601.pdf

Doug