  • Subject: Can AS400 SQL update MS Access
  • From: FKolmann@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 00:59:23 -0400

   Is there a better list to post this question to.

   We have a 3rd party system that uses MS ACCESS (I have seen
   the negative vibes on MS ACCESS :),  but if we can use RPG/SQL
   it will make things easy.

   We want to use RPG/SQL to read/update a MS ACCESS database on
   a Windows NT PC.

   I have done some searching and have found reference to ODBC
   MDAC  ADO,  etc.

   I have been able to confip TCPIP and we have Client Access
   Express loaded.  We can ping both boxes from each other.
   We can FTP transfer and do Client Access file transfers.

   Basically we want record level access to the MS MDB files.
   From all I've read it should be possible. All I need to do
   is set up the appropriate ODBC driver on the NT box to control
   the MBD files.
   I am not expert on the MS Jet engine nor how to use MDAC
   or what versions to use.

   Also I dont know which NT service program needs to be active.
   Perhaps I should use MS SQL Server.
   Perhaps I could use NETSERVER to have the MSACCESS files
   in the IFS but then how do I get at them with SQL.
   TIA
   Frank Kolmann