Jose,

(Please be sure to trim off the message you reply to when creating a new post;
you had a completely different topic tacked on to the end of your post.  We
are easily confused here!  ;-) )

Presuming you have neither the SQL product that enables you to embed SQL in
your RPG source nor the experience to do so...

If I understand your question, you're trying to pass data selection parameters
from a user entry screen to the query?  Indeed, you *should* be considering
alternatives to using query.  It is, in fact, possible to pass parameters to a
WRKQRY-created query (vs. QMQRY) which is what I am presuming on your behalf.

This question has poopped up before here.  I am happy to report that searching
the midrange.com archives turns up a post that I wrote on this very subject
last year!  ;-)  I have copied it here as follows:

< BEGIN ARCHIVE SNIP>
AAAAAAAAAAuuugggghhhhhhhhh!   Where the heck have I been?  Why isn't this
documented in the Query manual?  You should'a heard the head-banging when I
shared this response with the others in our office, which, several months ago,
undertook a _major_ project to convert user-written queries with hard-coded
selections to QM queries (both *QMQRY & *QMFORM objects).  It got so bad that I
ended up scrapping some of the conversions and wrote RPG/CL from scratch; much
faster to production.

Well, so, I guess, Thanks for the tip!  Next time..........

If I'm not the only one who didn't know about this (which I suppose _is_
possible), I think this would be an excellent tech tip in the trade rags.  Per,
go for it; it might net you $50!

BTW, this technique _does_ do a conversion to *QMQRY, it's just transparent.
This is important to know, because there are differences between WRKQRY output
and STRQMQRY *QMQRY output.  But it looks much cleaner than the conversions I
did in the past.  Oh, and character host variables have to be enclosed in
triple
single quotes, i.e., SetVar((STATUS '''A'''))

Will sleep better tonight.......

- Dan Bale

Per Nielsen <perni@centrum.dk> wrote:

IBM har written a nice little paper about the subject "Passing Parameters
to a query"

Click the link below
http://as400service.rochester.ibm.com/s_dir/slkbase.NSF/$searchform?Open&view=w
all
In the search field write :

Passing Parameters to a Query/400 Query

The basic idea of the solution is in the select statement to write in the
Select part:

DATE      GE   :FROMDAT

// Yes the : has to be there

Save the query as normal i.e. a QRYDFN object.

Run the Query with STRQMQRY and ALWQRYDFN(*YES) and set the variables in
SETVAR

I.e. in the above case:

StrQmQry QmQRy(yourlib/yourqry) AlwQryDfn(*YES)
     QmForm(*QMQRY) SetVar((FROMDAT 19991122))

HTH
Per Nielsen
< END ARCHIVE SNIP>

Dan Bale