  • Subject: Re: NOTICE to IBM: You're all missing the point!
  • From: "L. S. Russell" <leslier@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 14:27:48 -0500

Ted Barry wrote:
> If IBM really wants to kill the 400 (which, I guess some of them have
> been trying to do for years),  then we need to serve IBM notice!  This is a
> living system and a lot of companies have invested millions into
> upgrades. Maybe we should let our CEO's and GM's know that Dell is a
> viable solution.  They've got black boxes too.

I agree and disagree.
The part I disagree with is the implication that IBM is actively seeking
ways to kill the AS/400. Blaming IBM for attempting to achieve the
highest rewards for its investment is like blaming vultures for picking
over the bones of a dead animal. Survival is that nature of the beast in
both cases and IBM has proven that it is a survivor.

Yes we should serve notice but not by abandoning or threatening to
abandon the platform we are trying to save. The only way to "save" the
AS/400 from the threat we all perceive is to work together to make it a
more profitable platform for everyone involved; that includes hardware
and software vendors, IBM, consultants and IBM BP's, right down to the
lowly hired-hand grunt programmer.

No amount of letter writing or whining will achieve this. We don't need
to take over the marketing of the AS/400 for IBM we need to find ways to
make IBM want to market the AS/400. We must all recognize and accept the
need for a change in our industry and begin working toward that end.

But we must begin by setting aside this unfounded prejudice against IBM
and their, admittedly confounding, business methods.

--
L. S. Russell Programmer/Analyst
Datrek Professional Bags, Inc.