  • Subject: Re: Quick survey - how well structured are your RPG apps?
  • From: Anton Gombkötö <Gombkoetoe@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 17:08:11 +0200

> > And i think that some of the most valuable persons contribute to this
list.
> > Hans Boldt surely won't propose RPG as last choice for handling request
by a
> > web user-interface.
>
> But, Hans did propose just that very thing.

I've read it. In fact, it's not "that *very* thing". I wrote that he "won't
propose RPG as last choice". We do not know whether he would propose RPG as
last choice. We know now that he proposes other (additional :-) IBM products
first. I do not assume every IBMer to be evil and so i think that this is
his personal true opinion. Maybe, i cannot speak about Net.Data and
Websphere and what else may be there, as i do not know these products and
hadn't the time to read enough about them or even test them.

I work for AS Software, which is an IBM Business Partner.

We are collecting knowledge about e-business to be able to offer such
services to customers. We have no project yet, but i'm sure there will be
some coming. The last promotion thing we made was "Online-Krapfen"
("Krapfen" is a kind of doughnut). Viennese customers could order a free
doughnut box in addition to updating their data. The fastest delivery was 30
minutes. This was made to proove that e-business works. It did also proove
that RPG CGI-programs (i love the name e-RPG) do work. No other product was
used. (OK, i used UltraEdit32 to enter the HTML and JavaScript code... :-)

In summary i do have a slightly different approach to the same or almost the
same target. One of our targets is to fulfil the wish of AS/400-customers to
be part of the "wwe = world wide e-business (just invented)" and to make
money with that. RPG CGI programs are a valid solution for their needs, and
i think it's fun to implement them.

Reaching this goal does not mean and will not mean that everybody running a
AS/400 has or wants to know how RPG CGI programs are written.

As you hopefully could already notice, i do not hesitate to answer questions
on this list, i'm also spending some time for common. I'm the austrian
editor of our germany-austria-switzerland newspaper and the webmaster of
http://www.common.at (bit lousy, due to a lack of time). As a father of two,
i have no longer 16 hours a day for computers as i had in my younger days.
But a part of the time left is spent to help.

I hope you're a bit satisfied now.

Best regards,

--
Anton Gombkötö