  • Subject: Re: Quick survey - how well structured are your RPG apps?
  • From: "L. S. Russell" <leslier@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 08:10:01 -0500

> And i think that some of the most valuable persons contribute to this list.
> Hans Boldt surely won't propose RPG as last choice for handling request by a
> web user-interface.

But, Hans did propose just that very thing. In his reply to Brads
message about IBM wanting eRPG/CGI to go away he said; "3) "Is RPG/CGI a
good way to implement a webbed user interface?"  If you asked most of us
here in RPG development I think the consensus would be no, it's not."
To me that is IBM saying, hey if we sell them RPG and an HTTP server
that supports CGI how can we charge them for writing CGI's? DOH!!!

You have all the tools you need to conduct e-business sitting on the
"magic box" in your control room, no matter what IBM and their business
partners would have you believe.
What it all boils down to is this, the AS/400 is as close to the perfect
BUSINESS application development environment as you can get. IBM knows
that there is not the same potential revenue stream with the 400 as
there is with Netfinity and other Intel-ish platforms. So rather than
grow the AS/400 install base IBM has decided to put your livelihood at
jeopardy. And no amount of letter writing or whining will change that.
What can we do? We can't do IBM's job for them, we can't slap together
an AS/400 users marketing group. We are not in marketing. Then what?
Take a que from the linux community, they have made linux a more
marketable not by whining or investing in marketing schemes but by
creating a framework for e-commerce that any programmer can easily add
to his skill set. In most cases, CGI.pm for perl being one, there is
almost no learning curve for the programmer.

That is what we have to do, we have to work together to develop such a
framework that ANY RPG programmer can easily add to his or her skill
set. We don't need to become dependent on another IBM product for which
they will eventually discontinue support (Firewall for AS/400). They
already sell you RPG, they already include the HTTP server which
supports CGI. Work together and prove to them that by helping
programmers expand on their current skills and develop a community base
the AS/400 can lead the pack of e-bussines servers.

--
L. S. Russell Programmer/Analyst
Datrek Professional Bags, Inc.