  • Subject: RE: Character to Numeric
  • From: "Stone, Brad V (TC)" <bvstone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 15:32:06 -0600

> Face it, using the search tools is never easy.  And very
> often, the first few pages you look at can get you close
> to what you want, but not quite.  If you can offer some
> list of related pages, perhaps the surfer doesn't have
> to go back to the search results.  It's the kind of
> little thing that can improve peoples opinion of the
> value of your page.

This is not the case with either Deja.com or midrange archives.  They're my
first resource, and 98% of the time, I find the answer.  I find deja easier
to use because it does a great fuzzy search, and midrange.com you just have
to know how to enter the search string.  Trial and error works here too.

Not to mention I have the deja.com link set up to search only the as400 ng.
It doesn't get any easier.

Heck I use it, so it would do others good to learn how to use a search tool.
If I am the middleman for all these others, maybe I should start charging
for my consulting, which I don't.  My time is just as valuable as those who
"don't have time to search" for the answer, and I can guarentee I have less
time than they do.  Just ask my wife.

That always confuses me.  People mail me and say they don't have time to
search, but they do have 3 days to get the question answered via email
correspondence.  ???  Odd...

> Well, if it were up to me, I'd certainly like to see
> links to related 3rd party web sites on our corporate
> pages!

I have a few of "big companies" linking to my web page.  Most are overseas,
but a couple are in the US.  They never asked for a recipricol link.  That's
because that's not what they're in business to do.  the put the link there
because it helps their customer support when one of my tools will solve a
FAQ.

Heck, if IBM tech support will recommend my site over the phone (which they
do), why not add a link on their page?  It'll save some calls.

> >Sorry if I sound harsh.  I'm really frustrated with some
> software right
> now.
> >(not ours.)  :)
>

> And hopefully not ours either!  ;-)

Nope.. I have never had a problem with IBM that wasn't worked out (except
the HTTP server being able to seperate logs by virtual host name...)

It's PC software..  nuff said.  :)

Brad