  • Subject: Re: RPG Cycle
  • From: "Peter Dow" <pcdow@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 14:10:21 -0800

Hi Chris,

Welcome to RPG! Try this link for starters:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr/bookmgr.cmd/BOOKS/QB3AGZ03/1.3
.1

and this link http://www.news400.com/index400/ is a great resource for
documentation.

When I started programming, I really hated my first taste of RPG -- all
those fixed columns, stuff going on behind your back (in the cycle),
indicators, etc. -- until I had to work at a company that only had RPG II.
After being forced into it, I realized that the cycle does save a lot of
work, especially for report programs with level breaks, enabling smaller
programs that I could write quicker than for example a COBOL program to do
the same thing.

Programming languages are like word processors or spreadsheets in that
people using them tend to like the one they're comfortable and productive
with, no matter what features another one has. With ILE RPG still being
developed, it's an interesting time to be an RPG programmer.

JMO
Peter Dow
Dow Software Services, Inc.
909 425-0194 voice