  • Subject: Re: Restoring system
  • From: "R. Bruce Hoffman, Jr." <rbruceh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 11:57:39 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Bale <dbale@genfast.com>
To: rpg400-l@midrange.com <rpg400-l@midrange.com>
Date: Wednesday, November 17, 1999 5:50 PM

>Bruce,
>
><you are embarking on a major "learning experience">
>Your euphenisms (sp?) crack me up.

Thanks.

>Since I have not been in that area of responsibility lately, I'm curious
that
>you seem to be implying that the restore will not go smoothly.  Why is
that?

With "first timers" on the install, it has been my experience, that
something, even something little, tends to go wrong at some point during the
process. Confusion sets in and since they are "first timers", the pressure
of "getting it right" and getting it done in time sometimes causes panic.

This was the biggest problem with CISC to RISC conversions. If you had LOTS
of experience loading systems, understood the details of save/restore and
understood the differences between system software and non-system software,
then you could perform the conversions with little difficulty. But, still,
some things would go wrong.

If you can keep your head while everyone around you is jumping up and down
and screaming about "up time" and generally in panic, then you can stop,
sort out the problem and continue.

If not, you start over. Hence the time and now it becomes even more critical
as Monday morning approacheth.

>Also, what is the "slip" vs. "scratch" option?

You know, I think that this comes from working with IBMers too closely... A
slip is now refered to as a restore of SLIC, and a scratch is refered to as
an install. A slip just replaces the SLIC and leaves the rest of the system
alone. A scratch erases EVERYTHING, including hardware and DASD
configuration, from the system. With a slip, your system is operational
after OS. With a scratch, your system is empty after OS and can not do much
usefull work without a restore or continued install of useful software.

R. Bruce Hoffman, Jr.
 -- IBM Certified AS/400 Professional System Administrator
 -- IBM Certified AS/400 Professional Network Administrator

"The sum of all human knowledge is a fixed constant.
    It's the population that keeps growing!"