     Aw, c'mon Jim,

     You left out IDDU! <g>

     eric.delong@pmsi-services.com

Subject: Re: Reading a Flat File
Author:  <RPG400-L@midrange.com> at INET_WACO
Date:    11/5/99 8:07 AM

A "flat file" is a file without DDS.  S/36 files with just their two fields,
K000001 and F000001 are considered "flat files".  A file transferred
from a PC to the AS/400 is considered a "flat file".

Any file that's not a DB2 file is a flat file.

Now, the best way to read them, there are 3 or so ways.

The way I normally do it is I create a DDS for the file, compile it, then
copy the flat file to the DB2 file with FMTOPT(*NOCHK).  Then read
it the same as any other AS/400 file.  This is the best way, IMO.

Second best way to do it, is make it an internally described file, and give
the file layout in the I specs of your RPG program.

Lastly, instead of using I specs create D specs for the layout.  Define the
file as one huge field and move the buffer to the your DS.  This is doable,
but I don't know why you would want to do this instead of using the I
specs.

Regards,

Jim Langston