  • Subject: Re: [Re: RPGILE V4.3 Gotcha]
  • From: Jim Langston <jlangston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 14:41:37 -0700

I came into the AS/400 world from the RPG world.  I had never seen,
nor heard of an AS/400 before that, nonetheless RPG.  I was hired
based on my total years programming and all the languages I knew.

When I started there were no other programmers here, nor are there
now.  I was basically dumped in front of a green screen, told it was
an AS/400, given a sign on, and given my first project, to fix a nightly
transfer problem between two AS/400's using QSNADS on a dial
up line that were not "balancing" right.

Along with a few other things I was to fix, like changing a value displayed
on a S/36 display screen and adding a new field.

I grabbed the manuals and dug in, and did fixed both, the display problem
inside of a few days, the transfer problem inside of 2 weeks.  Needless
to say, I did not have time to read the manual cover to cover.  Any manual.

I would go to the manuals when I needed to learn how to do something.
Within 2 months I had read a few of the manuals cover to cover, including
the CL, RPG and DDS books.  And whenever something came up I would
refer to them.

After 2 months I went to a class to learn RPG and CL and DDS, but at that
point they didn't teach me but very little, since I had already learned it on my
own, and knew it better than people who had been programming for over
2 years in RPG (there were 3 of them in the class).

I am not only the programmer here, but the network engineer, system analyst,
PC installer, software installer, software troubleshooter, ad nausium.  If it
plugs
into the wall, I have to deal with it sooner or later.  I have to order it, fix
it,
maintain it, upgrade it, analyze it, explain how to use it, etc...

And when I find the time I can actually do what I was hired to do, be a
programmer.  If I spent the time reading the manuals, I wouldn't have time to
program.

Regards,

Jim Langston