  • Subject: FW: [Re: RPGILE V4.3 Gotcha]
  • From: Scott Halliday <shalliday@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 12:25:11 -0700

I for one was unaware of this problem with the EVAL statement until I
learned about it from this message list. I too have yet to come across this
problem because much of the code I support is older and doesn't use the EVAL
statement.

Like many of today's RPG developers, I used the "learn as you go" approach
to pick up RPG ILE. Through MidRange and News/400 articles, books such as
Modern RPG IV and yes, postings from message listings such as this, I
continue to expand my RPG ILE knowledge and programming skills. While I
continue to support my share of older code, I now use RPG ILE for all new
development.

More often than not, many RPG developers do not have the time to read all of
the related IBM manuals before they actually have to write a line of RPG ILE
code. If I had the luxury to wait until I finished reading all of the
related IBM manuals, I would yet to have started, much less completed, my
first RPG ILE program.

So let's be realistic when the comment "Didn't you read a particular
paragraph in a particular IBM manual" is made. (Give it a half an hour after
the comment's been made and you can be sure its been read, by everyone)

With regards to the issues regarding the "EVAL" statement, I agree totally
with Jim's comments and point of view.

SCOTT HALLIDAY
CIMVISION INTERNATIONAL
300 Oceangate, Suite 1500