  • Subject: Re: Reverse image and other pretty attributes
  • From: "David Morris" <dmorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 09:44:40 -0600

RS, and others,

Many years back we gave up on setting display attributes in
source files.  It caused too many problems and took too much
time.  We started out using Flex/Edit.  We now use Code/400.

PC Editors do a much better job of displaying source.  With
client access/SEU, you can change fonts, colors, etc., but no
display attribute will help you overcome the 24 source line
limit.  With Code/400 and a good monitor, you can easily display
80+ lines in a more readable format.  That's just one benefit.

David Morris

>>> RS <rspinks@compuserve.com> 06/09/99 05:43AM >>>
Two ways that I've used.

1. Use DBU, set to CHANGE mode then change to hex FORMAT and place the hex
value(i.e X'21')
   in the attribute byte of the literal in SRCDTA that you want to change.
If you only want to change the
   attlribute of a literal then a x'20' is required after the literal to
turn the attribute off. I am using X'21' only
   for an example. You could used any from x'21' to and not including
x'40'(blanks). If you don't place
   an x'20' on the line the whole source record from where you place x'21'
will be changed.

2. I've also written utilities which utilize this technique over source
file members such as
    highlighting certain op-codes(if,do,begsr,etc) while providing nesting
levels.