  • Subject: Re: Data transfer
  • From: "Scott Klement" <infosys@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 19 May 1999 12:42:02 -0500

ITF still exists.  (the command is STRITF)

Theres a few problems with this strategy:

1) Packed numbers would probably be screwed up by the transfer,
    (unless, of course, you wrote software to convert everything
    BEFORE sending it...   Like converting it all to CSV formatted
    records in a physical file with "one big field" for each line.

    In fact, I'm not even sure that the ITF will transfer anything
    other than a source physical file.  Though, you could get around
    this problem pretty easily :)

2) You'd have to worry about the data being corrupted, since ITF
    doesn't support a file transfer protocol like Xmodem or Zmodem
    that could check the data for errors as it sends. (Tho, with
    modern error correction modems, this wouldnt be a big issue)

3) This would be slow, limited to modem speeds... perfectly acceptable
    if there isnt too much data to send, but if you've got a lot,
    it'd take a really long time :)

But, if this is the only method available to you, it sure beats
retyping]

Scott Klement
Information Systems Manager
Klement's Sausage Co, Inc.