Check out the Dell Refurbished Store. (http://www.dellrefurbished.com)

They usually have online coupons where you can get 45% off.

My current fav is the Dell E7470 Core I7. Got mine for $500 without OS and has 8gb and 512gb SSD.

Since every laptop has a USB 3.0 just get another external SSD or spinning drive for data backups or even running VMs. WD has some nice tiny external SSDs or get an MSATA SSD with a wire. They are TI-NY.

I bumped memory to 16gb just because I do Vmware work with images.

They are currently clearing out some 12" models (E7250) for pretty cheap. A few already has 256ssd and 16gb ram.

Now these are laptops, but any primary machine I use today is a laptop.

Best of luck.

Regards,
Richard Schoen
Web: http://www.richardschoen.net
Email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Phn: (612) 315-1745

message: 1
date: Wed, 19 Jun 2019 09:46:43 -0400
from: Jeff Crosby <jlcrosby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: [PCTECH]

My current desktop is Windows 7 and cannot be upgraded to Windows 10. I tried several times a year or 2 ago. With the age of my hardware it's probably just as well. For the first time that I can remember, I will get a clean install.

I will get 2 drives, either SSD/HDD or 2 HDD. Obviously, SSD costs more.
Will I be happier with SSD/HDD and 8gb memory? Or 2 HDD and 16gb memory?
Recommendation?

What's the current "sweet spot" price-wise, for CPU?

Thanks.