So here's what I ended up doing.

After searching various places online, I ended up with a refurbished tower
from a local store I've done quite a bit of business with (Dave P - it's A
Plus Computers)

HP Z230
24gb
500gb SSD (new)
the usual ethernet , usb 2, usb 3 stuff
esata
hdmi
dual monitor capable
$549

Richard - thanks for reminding me about those TI-NY external card deck size
usb drives. I actually have a couple of 1tb ones at home. I ordered a 4tb
one for $99 for this desktop.

Thanks for all the suggestions.