Here are your answers:
1. The meaning of the "secret word" is used to create all 4 index values for
encryption. The wireless access point will (by default) transmit the first
index. If you have a conflict with someone else's wireless, you can change
the access point to transmit one of the other keys by default.
2. Each PC in the given network should all use the KeyIndex 1, unless you
define the wireless router to transmit index 2,3 or 4. Some wireless devices
will also accept the "secret word" and configure all 4 keys for you. If it
doesn't you will have to enter key 1 into the device and tell the device it
is key 1.
3. DHCP has nothing to do with the encryption or the encryption key indices.
By the same token, DNS has nothing to do with it either. If you already have
a DHCP server on your network, you do not need to configure the one on the
wireless. If you DO NOT have a DHCP server on your network, you should
configure your wireless to assign IP addresses in the range you have defined
for your internal network.

Generally speaking, the Linksys router will already be defined with DHCP on
and assigning 192.168.1.x addresses with the router itself taking
192.168.1.1. It attempts to auto discover the DNS addresses to use by RIP
transactions. If it is just a wireless access point, it will not act as a
gateway. If it is a DSL or cable router, you will need to connect the
Ethernet cable to the "Internet" connection on the back. If this is the
case, you may require a user name and/or password to be configured, but ONLY
if your ISP requires it. I've hooked up many of these devices and NEVER had
to configure this once.

I hope that this answers all of your questions, in the proper order, is
clear enough for you to understand and that you don't have this problem in
the future with this list.

If you have any problems, feel free to contact me directly.

John Brandt
iStudio400.com

1- What is the “meaning” of that “secret word” KeyIndex? I searched
Google, but found tons of info about basics and advanced
configurations… but no one dignified to get down to explain basic things
like this!
2- If I have to give each PC configured for my network a different
KeyIndex… does that mean one can only have up to 4 WIFI PC’s connected
at a time?
Same question but reversed: How many WIFI PC’s can coexist (regardless
performance) in the same network?
3- My technical suppoprt ended up saying KeyIndex was none of the
parameters asked for WIFI !!! even though I was telling him “I have it
in front of me”!!! and suggested me to
- Eliminate any use of DHCP!
- Hard configre an IP address for each PC (?)
- Same for DNS
- … absolutely nonsense!