On 11/30/05, Roger Vicker, CCP <rv-lists@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I hope this discussion doesn't get religious. I will decidedly cease to
> fuel any such fire

It probably won't, given that Windows is a requirement.  I made the
quip because I expected someone to suggest that you turn one of the
older PC's into a Linux box and put MySQL on it.

> I will add the existing setup to help explain.
>
> Currently the serve is Windows 2000 Server with the application required
> MSSQL. No IIS or Exchange. There are 4 local PCs (W2K) running the
> application in a Client/Server configuration. A remote site (W98) is
> using terminal services to run the application on the server is it
> doesn't support being remote any other way due to hard coded timeouts.

Interesting.  "Fat network" apps are often a pain in the rear.

> I am looking at replacing all the hardware/OS over the next year or so
> with the server probably being the last item. All the hardware was
> custom built and loaded by another outfit before I took over. Most of
> the user PCs are totally integrated without any expansion slots so if a
> NIC or video goes bad it is a boat anchor. I am not sure that they can
> even find (or received) the Microsoft key codes for the existing
> software. Probably won't make any difference if I get them to go with
> the upgrade and since there are no upgrade discounts available for the
> new stuff. Just hope we don't have to do a reload in the meantime.

You may want to do the server first.  Then when you setup the PC's,
you can properly set them up for the new server.

> I have looked at 2003 SBS Premium as it includes the MSSQL and 5 total
> seats for less money than buying individual components. BUT I think
> (dangerous thing there) from the reading that SBS doesn't support Remote
> Desktop for running shared applications like this (only server
> administration) AND it doesn't allow more desktops if the remote site
> needs to expand. Everything seems to say you need to add another server
> (even a W2K) to run end user type desktops if using SBS.

Some thoughts ...
- As far as I can tell there is no reason that an application can't be
run using remote desktop, but it doesn't support features like print
redirection and application publishing.
- I wouldn't be comfortable with a user remote controlling to the
server for day-to-day business.  Keep the server that is being
replaced, take off SQL and have the user to continue to remote control
to it instead of the new server.
- I think you can download a trial of SBS and see if it will work.
- there is a lot of other stuff available with SBS, including an
Active Directory domain, Exchange email, ISA for firewall, web proxy
and internet access control, and IIS to serve an internal or external
web site.

> I know that no matter what combination of licenses, additional seats
> will have to be purchased if they go beyond the current total of 5 end
> user PCs which happily matches the base of included seats. Is 5 packs
> the only expansion option or is there a way with this small of an
> organization to buy individual seats?

I believe that you can purchase "Client Access Licenses" for SBS one
at a time.  I don't know the price, but it isn't likely more than
$150.  As an aside, the SBS CALs include a license to use Outlook!

--
Tom Jedrzejewicz
tomjedrz@xxxxxxxxx