I hope this discussion doesn't get religious. I will decidedly cease to
fuel any such fire

I will add the existing setup to help explain.

Currently the serve is Windows 2000 Server with the application required
MSSQL. No IIS or Exchange. There are 4 local PCs (W2K) running the
application in a Client/Server configuration. A remote site (W98) is
using terminal services to run the application on the server is it
doesn't support being remote any other way due to hard coded timeouts.

I am looking at replacing all the hardware/OS over the next year or so
with the server probably being the last item. All the hardware was
custom built and loaded by another outfit before I took over. Most of
the user PCs are totally integrated without any expansion slots so if a
NIC or video goes bad it is a boat anchor. I am not sure that they can
even find (or received) the Microsoft key codes for the existing
software. Probably won't make any difference if I get them to go with
the upgrade and since there are no upgrade discounts available for the
new stuff. Just hope we don't have to do a reload in the meantime.

I have looked at 2003 SBS Premium as it includes the MSSQL and 5 total
seats for less money than buying individual components. BUT I think
(dangerous thing there) from the reading that SBS doesn't support Remote
Desktop for running shared applications like this (only server
administration) AND it doesn't allow more desktops if the remote site
needs to expand. Everything seems to say you need to add another server
(even a W2K) to run end user type desktops if using SBS.

I know that no matter what combination of licenses, additional seats
will have to be purchased if they go beyond the current total of 5 end
user PCs which happily matches the base of included seats. Is 5 packs
the only expansion option or is there a way with this small of an
organization to buy individual seats?

Roger Vicker