On 9/8/05, Jones, John (US) <John.Jones@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 1. Uninstall any and everything Symantec. After uninstalling, spend 45+
> minutes in REGEDIT deleting the stuff that should uninstall but doesn't
> (thank you Symantec). Really, their consumer-level stuff is total crap
> and causes so many problems I'd wear out my keyboard if I tried to
> document them all.

Dang, I was afraid of that. Should I create a restore point before
uninstalling Symantec? What do you scan for in the registry? Just
"symantec"?

2. Install decent apps to replace the above. I suggest Zone Alarm for a
> firewall (or find the old freeware Tiny Personal Firewall version 2),
> CounterSpy for anti-spyware, and AVG or NOD-32 for anti-virus.

How do you compare CounterSpy with Spybot S&D? On my old pc, I use Spybot
S&D in conjunction with the free version of Ad-Aware, although I don't
believe there is any real-time protection offered by either. I've been using
AVG on the old pc, but never heard of NOD-32 before a few days ago.

4. Try hard-coding a DNS for testing. Since I don't always trust
> Comcast I use Verizon's: 4.2.2.2 <http://4.2.2.2> and 4.2.2.4<http://4.2.2.4>
> .

What do you mean by "hard-coding a DNS for testing"?

Thanks,
Dan