-I am not familiar with VPN from windows to windows.  We do VPN from Windows
XP Pro to our Cisco PIX.  One thing I always check when people are having
VPN issues is that they have actually established the VPN connection.  We
have one user who connects (clicks on the VPN link and logs in) but always
has difficulty accessing applications.

When I have him run an "ipconfig" command from a DOS prompt, he never has an
IP address associated with the VPN connection.

He should have two separate IP addresses:

1 - His local PC address (either static or DHCP assigned)
2 - His VPN address (taken from the office DHCP server)

After he tries the connection a few times, he gets and address and
everything works.

Could it be that you are not getting an IP address for you VPN connection?

-The other issue that I have found sounds like part of your second problem.

We have had some users change the default configuration on their VPN
settings.

In the VPN connection box -> Click Properties -> Click Networking -> Select
TCP/IP -> Click Properties -> Click Advanced -> on the General Tab -> check
(or uncheck) the Use default gateway on remote network box -> OK, OK, OK

I have found that sometimes having this box checked helps and other times I
need it unchecked???  May be someone else can tell us why?

-The other part of your problem, loosing the connection may be related to
your cable company.  I have Comcast cable at home and they sent out a notice
a few years ago that they do NOT want home users using VPN connections.  For
that type of usage I would have to upgrade to a business class service at
over twice the price!  (I never did upgrade so I only use VPN occasionally)
I don't know if the "no VPN" rule is still enforced or not.

I hope some of this helps!
-Bryon