From: pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Rob Dixon
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2003 2:04 AM
To: PC Technical Discussion for iSeries Users
Subject: Re: [PcTech] Recovering XP Pro after Thinkpad hard disk

Chuck

Chuck Lewis wrote:

>Gary makes good suggestions and if you are having to go so far as to
>reinstall the OS, I'd reformat the drive too.

It is mandatory when you reinstall.

>Do you have a broadband connection ?

I live and work in a rural area and although wireless broadband has been
promised by a local entrepreneur, it hasn't happened yet, so my only
choice is ISDN.  The UK is very backward on high speed  connections,
unless you are in a big town or city.  I could move but I live and work
in a nearly 700 year old fortified medieval stone gatehouse and I don't
wish to leave at present.  There are no others around!

>If you do, and they do it in the UK like they do it here, the cable company
>makes you think you have to do NOTHING once they hook you up. The FIRST
>thing I did was get a Linksys router to do NAT. Also use Zone Alarm and
>Sophos Antivirus (from your neck of the woods, by the way).

I was thinking of using Sophos as they are not far away..

>If you connect
>up to the internet without this stuff your "had". I saw something a couple
>of weeks ago that said once you connect, they are I can't remember how many
>hundred scans (automated) that find you in a matter of minutes and then
>attacks coming back against that with the hour ! Unreal.

Apalling!  Why aren't the large companies, such as IBM, doing anything
about this?

Many thanks

Best wishes

Rob