OK, I lied.  After having spent so muvh time ramping up my Google-foo, I couldn't stop.  So here is the last piece of tyhe puzzle, it's the dependency specification PEP:

  https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0508/

You get to that from the Python Core Metadata Specifications:

  https://packaging.python.org/specifications/core-metadata/

That's it.  No more.