The METADATA file was the culprit. The conditional requirement was not conditioned, and so it was always trying to look for an old version of tornado.  This is top of the METADATA from livereload:

Metadata-Version: 2.0
Name: livereload
Version: 2.6.3
Author: Hsiaoming Yang
Author-email: me@xxxxxxxxxxx
License: BSD
Platform: UNKNOWN
Classifier: Development Status :: 4 - Beta
Classifier: Environment :: Console
Classifier: Environment :: Web Environment :: Mozilla
Classifier: Intended Audience :: Developers
Classifier: License :: OSI Approved :: BSD License
Classifier: Natural Language :: English
Classifier: Operating System :: MacOS :: MacOS X
Classifier: Operating System :: POSIX :: Linux
Classifier: Programming Language :: Python
Classifier: Programming Language :: Python :: 2
Classifier: Programming Language :: Python :: 2.7
Classifier: Programming Language :: Python :: 3
Classifier: Programming Language :: Python :: 3.5
Classifier: Programming Language :: Python :: 3.6
Classifier: Programming Language :: Python :: 3.7
Classifier: Programming Language :: Python :: 3.8
Classifier: Programming Language :: Python :: Implementation :: CPython
Classifier: Programming Language :: Python :: Implementation :: PyPy
Classifier: Topic :: Software Development :: Build Tools
Classifier: Topic :: Software Development :: Compilers
Classifier: Topic :: Software Development :: Debuggers
Requires-Dist: six
Requires-Dist: tornado
Requires-Dist: tornado (<6)

Note the second Requies-Dist for tornado? That's the one that John pointed out was supposed to be for Python 2.7.  Well, there's nothing in the METADATA that says that, and I don't know if there even is a syntax, because I can't find anything on METADATA in Google-foo.  So I said the heck with it, and I just delete that second tornado line, and magically everything worked.

I am still not thrilled that I did something which for all intents and purposes is undocumented, but I am happy that it works.