You want VS Code for this. It won't take you very long to understand why. The only downside is that when you have to go back to RDi, you will curse the big blue god.

Now if someone would just make it so the VS Code server installed and ran on the i the way it does in WSL and Linux, we would be golden.

-----Original Message-----
From: OpenSource <opensource-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Joe Pluta
Sent: Thursday, December 17, 2020 6:39 PM
To: opensource@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [IBMiOSS] Python, ACS, Open Source and MKDocs

Oh gz.  I am as old as dirt.  Older maybe.  And yet I still get excited by cool things.  And what is today's cool thing?  I can set up a complete working Python development environment using the free VS Code toolset, connect to my free Ubuntu environment on Windows, and then push my code to run on the i.

And that's a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT path than installing the Python tools in my RDi instance, developing code to port to an Ubuntu VM and walking down that path.  (Which was yet a different path than my dual-boot Windows XP / Ubuntu laptop, which I only just recently decommissioned).

Now I just have to figure out what I want to pursue.  I have to admit that the WSL is very slick.  It's fast and simple, and it's got the sort of power tools I need as a (sometimes less than adept) administrator.  I just ran ubuntu2004 in Powershell as part of a very simple process to reset my user password.  Having spent so very long in the Eclipse world, I don't know if I want to retrain on VS Code, but I understand it's pretty slick.

Good thing I have nothing else to do...