On Fri, Dec 30, 2016 at 1:10 PM, Pete Helgren <pete@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
the database
portion of the app, the most important piece, can't be installed because of
the way the MySQL was compiled on IBM i (the version included with PHP) and
the alternative, sqlite, can't be used because of the way that Python was
compiled for IBM i.

That's frustrating!

Kevin gave me a couple of workarounds that involved
installing either a different MySQL or a different Python, but I am *trying*
to use the "off the shelf" stuff that a typical IBM i OSS user would have.
It is already a bit daunting to get the IBM i OSS stuff running without
having to install a bunch of workaround packages that make IBM i OSS less
attractive (IMHO).

Right. I agree IBM i OSS stuff is, as yet, a bit daunting and less
attractive than it could be. Because of this, I haven't yet made a
pitch to my manager or our IBM i sysadmin to install any of it.

I am not a Python geek by any stretch but I always enjoy tackling a new
project so right now I am hacking some of the database code for the app and
seeing of I can get it to happily use the ibm_db module which would be cool,
but not knowing the app's internals, might be a stretch.

Hm. Is this a well-known project? On PyPI or GitHub or other public
repository? If so, maybe I can take a look.

Not that I am great at hacking at that level myself. But I am curious
to know how "deeply" it interfaces with MySQL or SQLite, and how
difficult it is to "port" for use with iSeriesPython.

John Y.