"The point is the same though: As long as you have Windows clients, you'll need Windows servers to maintain them."

This is one of my biggest beefs with Microsoft (and lots of other vendors). Buy this, it's the best in the world! Oh, now that you got that you're going to need a server to do this and another server to do this and another server to do this. Oh, and now that you got all those servers and your life depends on them you should really cluster those servers in case one fails. Oh and now that you have all those server clusters you need another server to help you keep those servers patched. Oh, and you should really cluster the patch server also so you are sure to get your production servers patched on a regular basis. Boy, with all those servers each with an internal tape drive for backup you would be better off having a single tape/disk storage for backup, and of course you need another server to run the backup. Wow look at all those servers you with so much wasted disk space. You should get a SAN and move all your disk there and of course you need another server to run the control software for the SAN. You know the room you have all those servers in sure is getting crowded and hot, you need to build a larger data center and beef up the HVAC system and put in a large UPS.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-nontech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-nontech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Lukas Beeler
Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2008 9:34 AM
To: Non-Technical Discussion about the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: i5 Youngsters

On 1/15/08, Paul Nelson <nelsonp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Lukas,

What OS in the world can run a business? AN OS runs the computer. For any
business considering a computing solution, the application software must be
selected before one selects the platform on which it runs.

Unlike M$, IBM is no longer in the business of selling ERP application
software. Quit complaining to and about IBM regarding that issue.

A Business needs a lot more than just an ERP software. I believe the
correct term is not "business" but "business infrastructure". Please
excuse me, i'm not a native English speaker.

--
Read my blog at http://projectdream.org