From: midrange-nontech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-nontech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Lukas Beeler
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 11:54 AM
To: Non-Technical Discussion about the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: iSeries revenue plummets

On 11/20/07, Paul Nelson <nelsonp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The purchasing guy doesn't care
about
the appearance of a piece of information that tells him he needs to order
1,263 widgets right now or the Jones order will not get shipped this year.

Good, well designed graphs can help to understand trending and
information better. A customer cares about the documents he receives.

No, i don't think that a plain 12 pitch courier delivery receipt will
cause a customer to switch suppliers. But when i receive a plain 12
pitch courier delivery receipt i will think that they have an outdated
IT.

And making printed output look good on the System i is very, very
difficult. I still have several PMRs open related to creating and
using color overlays for printing.

I know a guy that has to create postscript code in the program itself,
in order to get halfway decent output.

Of course one can just drop all the System i printing stuff, and just
send PDFs generated using Java down to the Client's browser. But then
again, he could run the same Java Stuff on Windows or Linux, with no
disadvantages whatsoever, and the advantage of having faster, better
supported and less expensive systems.