* Brad Jensen <brad@elstore.com> [2002-02-26 15:01 -0600]:
> Phil Gregory wrote:

> > Yes, NATting through a Comcast cable modem is against their TOS and
> > they're apparently putting together a department devoted to detcting
> > stuff like NAT.
>
> if you are running dhcp on your router, they should not be able
> to detect it....

I could talk for a while on this subject.  Suffice it to say that the
average home NATter can probably be detected fairly easily using
techniques such as looking at User-Agent: headers in HTTP traffic and
doing passive OS fingerprinting on the TCP/IP traffic emanating from the
computer.  A computer's IP addresses is not the only identifying
characteristic it has on a network.

> How long have you been using DSL?

Actually not at all yet, as person-with-whom-I'm-sharing-the-house (in
whose name the cable account is) hasn't yet gotten around to setting up a
DSL account and canceling Comcast.  Nevertheless, my points stand, as my
main issues are with Comcast's TOS.  Earthlink (DSL provider) has much
better terms (and I know several people who are happily using Earthlink
already).