On 7/10/2024 3:28 PM, tgarvey@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Any thoughts, opinions? Anybody seen ChatGPT convert RPGLE to VB?

As I write this, I have not yet seen ChatGPT routinely emit RPG code that will compile.

I just this minute asked it about halt indicators and got a very authoritative-sounding description of 'High-use halt indicators' including H1-H9, LR, and RT. For, I must add 'RPG (Role-Playing Game) programming on IBM i...) Off to a great start. This authoritative-sounding description included this: 'These indicators are typically used to signify an immediate halt in the program execution.' No, that is not a correct statement.

This was followed by several lovely 1990s-style examples of fixed form RPG that SETON LR, SETON RT, did CHAIN ... 90 IF %ERROR(90) [wat?], did C // Handle error, in fact everything except show an example of a halt indicator.

The final example was to wrap the CHAIN in a MONITOR block - in free form, no less. That would have compiled, but again, it's not an example of using a halt indicator (as claimed).

One might say this is obscure, but who among us will be asking ChatGPT to explain Z-ADD?