My question about whether ChatGPT could convert RPGLE to VB was just happenstance around that IBM webinar at the same time. Clearly IBM isn't interested in something like that. They want to capitalize on their decades long effort to support old code on newer machines.

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Scott Klement
Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2024 9:24 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: How has/will AI impacted the RPGLE community?

He asked about converting it to VB. which would make even less sense (from IBM's perspective) than Java.

On 7/10/24 5:49 PM, Jon Paris wrote:
Thanks, Scott - that is 100% what I was trying to say.

Folks should not be misled by the fact that the engines being used have been successfully used to re-write mainframe code in Java. For some reason the manframe folks wanted to do that.

BUT - it is not the intention of the current RPG project. There have been enough failures in the past with folks attempting to convert RPG to Java. That is the last thing any of us, including IBM, should want.

Jon P.