I came from a System/3/34/36 background. We only had six characters for
file and field names. We did weird things, which I will not go into here,
when we applied names. I never did much work in RPG/400 so I do not
remember if it had 10-character capability, but the capability was nice
(subjectively) in ILE RPG.

Correct me if I am wrong (often the case), but field names, etc., are merely
symbols. That is, the program, when compiled, uses them to address a memory
location. When local field names in procedures came along, I just guessed
that Barbara somehow indexed those to keep things from getting messy.
Undoubtedly more complex than that.

Back in the day I worked in Cobol, as well as RPG II. We had, if memory
serves, 30-character field names. Most programmers eschewed them usually
using 6-10. I was one of the rare ones that sometimes had to abbreviate
just to get a self-explanatory name in the field limit!

Jerry C. Adams
Hard work pays off in the future; laziness pays off now. -Steven Wright
IBM i Programmer/Analyst
--
NMM&D
615-585-2175