Am 09.05.2023 um 21:55 schrieb s6qdx via MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Actually... since you're asking... :)

Well, help is why you've actually subscribed to this list, yes? :-)

licensing: IBM's licensing model seems to have changed over the years,

Not that I'm aware. The biggest change was with the migration to PowerPC where license keys for the operating system itself were introduced. That's now nearly 30 years in the past. ;-)

I've read somewhere that you need a license for the OS, and in some cases even for some additional licensed products. However, using DSKLICKEY I can see just one license, for the OS, and that's also reflected in WRKLICINF where the OS is displayed as KEYED where additional software is displayed as WARNING if I'm not mistaken. That "WARNING" got me a bit concerned, but nothing seems to have an expiration as far as I can tell.

I can't duplicate, because on my 150, there are no lickeys needed. Probably someone else can elaborate on that?

I strongly advise that you save this license key string with the associated metadata (machine type, serial number, OS release) in a file on another platform, or on paper.

Does it mean the OS license work for anything I can install from the installation media?

Not anything. I once had a model 400 running V4R4 but no matter what I tried, I was refused to use SEU, because the development environment was not part of the license. That my main reason to acquire a 150 back then.

I'm asking because I'd love to install english localization. The current system is in italian with no additional language and it makes finding information even more difficult.

Not sure if V4 supported an in-place change of the primary language.

One last thing: let's say I can find the OS CDs somehow, will I be able to install from those and just add my current license' information?

Yes, definitely. The advantage of doing so would be that you'd have a clean slate to start with. The disadvantage of doing so would erase probable "extra programs" from the former owner. But then, you can do a save 21 before reinstalling.

Clearly, you need a console to install from scratch.

at the end of the article you mention "Using the console service functions (65+21)": I remember when I just started I couldn't figure out how to connect and thought I had to use those codes to enable LAN Console, but they never worked. I input 25, 26, but then 65 always returns FF.

I'm at a loss, having done this thing just once. But I remember timing being critical.

AFAIK, LAN Console is a thing for relatively recent machines only. If I remember correctly, the serial thing is called Operations Console. I have no first-hand experience with it. Maybe you can't activate this without the correct cable already connected?

Is it some limitation due to my OS being too old (V4R2M0)?

Most likely not. AFAIK this functionality didn't change in ages.

Not sure how a 170 performs in relation to a 150. But DDS tapes are easy and cheap to obtain. If in doubt, I offer you to have some from me. My stock is several dozens with different capacities.
To be fair I don't think I'm ready to start replacing parts, I think I'm first going to get at least the basics on navigating the system and do some triage, but I get your point.

OK. Just wanted to show you some options.

I wish I found your wiki last week: "I strongly urge to get a proper console. It's a life saver when things go wrong with TCP/IP" Indeed :|

:-)

Not sure how the mailing list reacts to attachments

They don't go through.

I'm adding a couple of images let me know if you can't see them.

You may choose to send them to me directly.

On the top half I can see a couple of ports that seem to be for UPS, RP0 and MI I have no idea what they mean :/

UPS should be self-explanatory. The rest are probably for factory diagnostics before the machines are send to the customer.

You're most welcome! I feel AS/400 hobbyists are somewhat rare and thus the community (with a hobbyist focus) is small.
Yeah and it's kind of a shame, but understandable. I think it's a combination of factors: their market positioning has always been on the business-y side, so they still tend to be expensive, hard to find.

Expensive: Depends. Hard to find: Sometimes, yes. But in general I agree.

Also most people never got to actually use one (I never did before) so there's no
"nostalgia" factor.

You're writing in a group where many people occasionally expressed more or less fond memories of earlier times. ;-)

I think they are also a bit frown upon among developers for some reason, but honestly, even older models are great machines and there's a lot to learn and tinker about.

I fully agree. And, I've been through that. ;-) I guess I'm somewhat established as the weirdo who's doing all that strange stuff with a machine more than outdated. :-)

Thank you again for your help!

You're most welcome!

:wq! PoC