In a single partition system that is managed by a LAN console, you are
correct, it's highly unlikely to have an HMC. (although I believe EVERY
system should have an HMC simply because of the utility it brings, but
that's a different discussion) In that case it is also highly likely the
system will physically power off when the partition ends. Unless you have
access to the ASMI via the network (like with ACS) it's likely that someone
will need to push the button to power it on.

With an HMC when the partition ends, it depends on how the system settings
are, most administrators like standby mode (system powered on with no
partitions activated) for a variety of reasons.

--
Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect