Le 12/05/2022 à 18:01, Jim Oberholtzer a écrit :
You can add a command list to a job. When adding the job use F7. You can
even manipulate the parameters. Maybe you just want the SBMJOBJS to do the
same thing as a scheduled job? Set up the job then submit it. I'm not
sure what the objection is here.

My point is not about the command list of a scheduled job. I do like this feature. I would just appreciate if we could set message monitoring up with the 5250 interface as it is only available through web interface (mmhh, though not sure if it is available with the new Navigtor).

My point is about the capability to replace this command list in a scheduled job with an procedure which could be managed outside of the scheduled job. Actually, just like a program. But, and this is my 2 cents, I do prefer using a command list in a scheduler procedure rather than a program. This is quite easier to immediately check the content of the procedure, which is a command list, and understand what it does, rather than look at the source of a program which needs to be looked at somewhere on the system, or even on another system. When you have to manage several tens of systems, with various rules for sources location, this is easier to immediately find what you are looking for. Of course, it applies to non-complex procedures. For complex ones, a program will always be a better way to proceed.

Let me try to explain better through an example.

Let's talk about the need to end applications at distinct occurrences during the time, so that backups can run without locks, or before a power down sequence, for instance. Ending applications require the following steps:

* ending QINTER subsystem
* ending an application web server
* ending some tcp/ip services
* ending host servers

So, the command list would be something like this (with appropriate message monitoring):

* ENDSBS SBS(QINTER)
* ENDTCPSVR SERVER(*HTTP) HTTPSVR(myserver)
* ENDTCPSVR SERVER(*FTP *DDM *NETSVR)
* ENDHOSTSVR SERVER(*ALL)

Now, this command list must be used in all scheduled jobs running before the backups and the power down. So, you have to create one job per occurrence which address this command list. Let's say there are daily, weekly and monthly backups. You will have to set this command list in the three jobs, ENDAPPDAY, ENDAPPWEEK, ENDAPPMTH.

A few weeks later, you have an issue with a daily backup which partially fails due to a lock by a batch job running in QBATCH subsystem. You decide to include ending QBATCH subsystem in your ending applications job.

With AJS, if you do not use the SBMJOBJS technique to address the same single scheduled job from the three ENDAPPxxx jobs, you will have to update those three ones. Hopefully, you will not miss any other job doing the same work (like a yearly backup for instance)...

With ROBOT SCHEDULE and with the feature I would like to have in AJS, you just have to set the scheduled ENDAPPxxx jobs to use the same procedure, and update this procedure only once, without bothering how many jobs are using it.

But, again, this is my way to work, just my 2 cents.