Thanks Rob (et al).  So, the cume and TR's I feel comfortable with.  It's the firmware that I am shaky about.  I found a link here:

https://developer.ibm.com/tutorials/au-power-systems-firmware-upgrade/

that seems to outline the steps.  On the fix central page I checked the option for "POWER9 System Firmware VL950_092 (FW950.30)" which was the level recommended by the FLRT tool. There are also a long list of device/hard disk/media firmware options that I can also choose but since they seem to be related to AIX and Linux, can I safely ignore them?

Also, is there a specific order that the firmware, vHMC and OS should be upgraded in?  I am going to assume:

1) Upgrade the vHMC

Based on what I have read so far, it seems like the first step is to upgrade the HMC.  I see that there is an HMC V9 Release 2 M950.  But I also noticed that there is a V10 Release 1 M1010 that is available.  Should I choose one over the other?  Any advantage to either?  Since I am using a virtual HMC, is it just simpler to spin up a new VMWare image or should I upgrade the existing VMWare image?   If I choose the latter, how have folks been making the update images available to their vHMC?

2) Upgrade the the firmware.  This is where I get a little uncomfortable.  It seems like the update is done through the HMC but I can't quite tell.  I have downloaded the firmware packages which has these files:

01VL950092_special_instructs.xml.special.note.xml
01VL950_092_045.dd.xml
01VL950_092_045.html
01VL950_092_045.pd.sdd
01VL950_092_045.readme.txt
01VL950_092_045.rpm
01VL950_092_045.tar.gz
01VL950_092_045.xml

The readme points to a URL but that URL doesn't specifically say to update through the HMC.  It*looks* like the HMC and since this system is HMC managed I am guessing that you update through the HMC, but I want to be sure.

3) Apply the cume and groups. (this I know)

For those folks who regularly do this, the questions may seem basic, but I would like to do this right the first time, if possible.  Lots of questions, I know.  Just trying to gather the steps before proceeding.

Thanks

Pete Helgren
www.petesworkshop.com