Back in the early days almost all diesels had pony motor starters! Neither electric motors or batteries were all that good back then. Eventually they got better and glow-plugs were installed as well relegating pony motors to a piece of history.

What you may not know is the pony motors generally also heated the intake manifold providing warm air to the diesel during start and also were water cooled with water circulated through the diesel block. Hence on the JD at least the pony motor had two speeds 'start' and 'run' which meant 'start the diesel' (max power) or 'run the pony' which was about half speed and intended to warm the diesel so it would start. I personally started that tractor at below(f) zero with no issue.... it just took 20 minutes. :-)

- DrF