A John Deer?

I thought only Caterpillar Diesel tractors had a pony motor.
What do you know!

A Happy New Year DrF and everybody on the i team.
Gad

date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 09:42:49 -0500
from: "Larry \"DrFranken\" Bolhuis" <midrange@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: Admin Servers

The difference with your car though is that about 2 seconds after you
start it you can drive off. Or in the case of my hybrids, I'm half way
or further up the driveway before the engine even decides to start and
if driven recently I can be 1/4 mile away at the stop sign before the
ICE is needed. BUT, leave it running and you burn gas doing nothing.

Contrast that to the *ADMIN servers where they take significant effort
to start and aren't usable until they are fully going. This can be
several minutes on most servers. However once running they take zero
resources when they are not being used so leaving them running is a
great idea.

Thus they are more like the old 2-Cyl John Deere's I spent so much time
on in my youth. Several minutes checking all the fluid levels and
looking for leaks or low tires. Then crank up the pony motor and let
that smooth out, then hold the compression release as you rolled the
diesel over until it had oil pressure, then release that and fire up the
diesel. Then of course shut down the pony motor because it was noisy and
smokey and only had a 1qt tank. A minimum of 10 knobs, levers, or
buttons required to make that thing go from silent to moving! And since
it was a diesel it would idle for hours on next to zero fuel so it was
left idling a lot if it was to be used again soon. :-)